Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Refresh

It's been a volatile year. Falling in love, breaking up, 10 months unemployed, then refinding a crappy job I had 2 1/2 years ago, and now, a new gig.

I'm clocking in my last hour at the art school. The new gig starts tomorrow, but in corpo world (my first venture there). Hopefully all goes well, but at this point, I'm just hoping it's not too painful or stressful. At least I'm not setting the bar too high, eh?

I'm definitely in a healthier place now than 12 months ago. My goals were gauzy and vague then, but now I feel like I know where I'm going. Thing is - I need some money to start all the businesses I've been cooking up in the last six months. So I'll put in my time at the new job, save money, keep my nose down, and plug away.

I kinda feel like I'm back in New York, where everyone seems to be juggling five, or so, jobs. It was once endearing to me - the feverish way people decided to live their lives - but now I wonder if it's not just the starving artists in New York who live this way. I know lots of people who have real, full-time jobs who are trying to make ends meet, trying to get ahead, in these hyper-expensive cities. When does it end? When do we have enough to live on, to buy houses where we can have a vegetable garden?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

trace-

it have found that it's a damn good thing that i like to cook; otherwise i would probably have to commit seppuku.

i guess that the key is to find a line of work that you should honestly kill youself in the midst of, if it weren't for the fact that you loved it so much.

like, really, i sweat my nuts off for 10.50/hr six days a week, grilling ribeyes for the ungrateful, but it is worth it for the simple fact that i can't picture myself doing anything else. and then there is the one customer in a hundred that thanks me for my efforts.

it's kinda like love, in that way, i guess.

at least you've got great crabs in s.f... look on the bright side.

from afar,
jason "carolina" bissey

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home